YOUR WEEKEND PIC (Oct 13-15)
(A guide to help you plan your cinema-going)
1. WORLD TRADE CENTER (Oliver Stone’s 9/11 docudrama with Nicolas Cage and Michael Pena) Rated * * * (out of 4): A heart-rending account of the rescue of two NY Port Authority cops from the rubble of the Twin Towers.
2. THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA (comedy with Meryl Streep and Anne Hathaway) Rated * * * (3 stars): Just watching Streep as the Cruella De Vil of the fashion world is worth the price of the ticket to this witty, biting satire. A delight for most women.
3. ROB-B-HOOD (Cantonese comedy with Jackie Chan, Louis Koo and Michael Hui) Rated * * * (3 stars): Jackie takes a change as a hood who kidnapes a baby and gets a attack of conscience. Typical Jackie flick with emotions added.
3. TALLADEGA NIGHTS (Racing comedy with Will Farrell and John C. Reilly) Rated * * (2 stars): A typical Saturday Night Live-styled comedy about the ups and downs of a Nascar driver named Ricky Bobby. Only if you like inane jokes.
4. SILK (Taiwan-made psychological thriller with Japanese and HK stars) Rated * 1/2 (1.5 stars): Inane and overdrawn thriller about a team of scientists who trap a boy ghost for study. Not even scary.
5. LOVE STORY (arthouse drama directed by Kelvin Tong of Singapore) Rated: * ½ (1.5 stars): This is about a pulp romance writer who stalks a library for women and inspiration. It is arty-farty stuff which is more farty than arty. (GSC International Screens)