Your Guide To The Weekend Viewing:
1. HULA GIRLS (Japanese drama with Yasuko Matsuyuki, Etsushi Toyokawa, Yu Aoi, Shizuyo Yamazaki) Rated: * * * 1/2 (out of 4): This is somewhat like "The Full Monty" in grass skirts. It is about how a declining coal-mining town in Japan (circa 1965) tries to reinvent itself by having a Hawaiian dance troupe. Great performances all round.
2. RUSH HOUR 3 (comedy with Jackie Chan, Chris Tucker and Max von Sydow) Rated * * (2 stars): This third outing is lacklustre with the fast-talking Tucker becoming more of a nuisance than comic relief. The franchise seems stuck in a deja vu jam. (Reviewed below)
3. DISTURBIA (suburban thriller with Shia LaBeouf, David Morse, Sarah Roemer and Carrie-Anne Moss) Rating * * 1/2 (out of 4): A watchable suburban mystery that looks like a recycled "Rear Window". However, it seems to have taken a wrong turn and ends like a slasher movie.
4. FLASHPOINT (action thriller with Donnie Yen, Louis Koo and Fan Bing Bing) Rating * * 1/2 (2.5 stars): Like "Invisible Target", we have another cop-versus-Vietnamese gang in this over-indulgent fightfest that insults our intellect.
5. THE SIMPSONS MOVIE (animated comedy with voices of Dan Castellaneta, Julie Kavner, Nancy Cartwright and Yeardley Smith) Rated: * * 1/2 (2.5 stars): Homer gets chased out of town but somehow redeems himself in this rather tame big-screen rendition that seems to recycle the gags of the TV series. Mainly for Simpsons fans. (Reviewed below)