WEEKEND & CHRISTMAS Pic: Dec 20 - 25 2007
1. THE WARLORDS (Actioner in Mandarin with Andy Lau, Jet Li and Takeshi Kaneshiro) Rating * * * (out of 4): This is an engaging tale of brotherly betrayal, revenge and murder set in China's Taiping rebellion (1851-64). The story has been told before, in Chang Cheh's "The Blood Brothers" (1973) but not in such an epic scale as this.
4. NATIONAL TREASURE: BOOK OF SECRETS (adventure with Nicolas Cage, Diane Kruger, Jon Voight & Helen Mirren) Rated * * 1/2 (2.5 stars): Like its predecessor, this sequel offers the same rollercoaster ride with a mix of fun and thrills. However, it is somehow devoid of any sense of danger... (Reviewed below)
6. ALVIN & THE CHIPMUNKS (live comedy with Jason Lee, David Cross, Cameron Richardson and Justin Long) Rated * * (2 stars): While it may be a novelty to see the Chipmunks in live action, this comedy is only intermittently funny. The action can be ridiculous and some gross-out scenes are painful to watch.
7. THE FERRYMAN (horror thriller with John Rhys-Davies, Kerry Foxx and Tamer Hassan) Rated * * 1/2 (2.5 stars): This made-in-NZ slasherpic makes little sense of its plot but delivers enough blood and gore to satisfy viewers. Title refers to the Greek myth of Charon, the Ferryman who delivers the souls of the dead across the River Styx. (Reviewed below)
8. ENCHANTED (Fantasy romance with Amy Adams, James Marsden, Patrick Dempsey and Susan Sarandon) Rated * * * (3 stars): This is an account of what happens when animated fairytale clashes with reality in New York City. A fun outing for the family during the school holidays. (Reviewed below)