WEEKEND PIC Sept 12 - 14, 2008
2. MONEY NO ENOUGH 2 (Singaporean comedy with Jack Neo, Mark Lee, Henry Thia and Lai Ming) Rated * * * (3 stars): This second instalment (it's not a sequel) to Singapore's highest-grossing comedy touches on both the funny and 'tragic' sides of life and the pursuit of wealth. It can bring tears to your eyes as well. (Reviewed below)
3. THE LOVE GURU (comedy with Mike Myers, Jessica Alba, Justin Timberlake and Ben Kingsley) Rating * * (2 stars): This satire on the Asian mystics has a few laughs but on the whole, it is silly and forgettable.
4. BABYLON A.D. (action thriller with Vin Diesel, Michelle Yeoh and Melanie Thierry) Rated * * (2 stars): It is a bit of 'Blade Runner', 'Matrix' and 'Children of Men' and a lot of mindless, ridiculous action. Only for those who need their weekly fix of blasts and stunts. (Reviewed below)
5. HALLOWEEN (remake of 1978 horror (pic), starring Malcolm McDowell, Brad Dourif, Tyler Mane, Sheri Moon Zombie and William Forsythe) Rated * * (2 stars): This recycled slasher pic tells the same story as its 1978 predecessor but updates the time factor to the 90s. Nothing special here, except for the shaky camerawork.
6. DECEPTION (crime thriller with Ewan McGregor, Hugh Jackman, Michele Williams, Maggie Q and Charlotte Rampling) Rated * 1/2 (1.5 stars): After an engaging start, this one takes a drastic turn and starts insulting our intelligence. (Reviewed below)
7. YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE ZOHAN (comedy with Adam Sandler, Rob Schneider, John Turturro, Emmanuelle Chriqui and Nick Swardson) Rating * * (2 stars): Over-exaggerated comedy about Mossad agent Zohan 'hiding' out in New York is messy by itself. Don't mess with it unless you are starved for some Sandler schtick. (Reviewed below)
8. DEATH RACE (John Statham, Joan Allen, Tyrese Gibson and Natalie Martinez) Rating * * (2 stars): Quite like the videogame Twisted Metal, this is a brainless actioner badly written to keep the viewers' adrenalin pumping. Martinez helps with the eye candy part.