WEEKEND PIC Nov 28 - 30, 2008
NEW This Week:
a) BOLT (animated comedy with John Travolta, Miley Cyrus, Susie Essman and Mark Walton) Rated * * * (out of 4): This entertaining canine road-trip movie should put Walt Disney Pictures back in the running for Top Dog in the animation stakes, instead of Underdog. (Reviewed below)
b) TWILIGHT (love story with Kristen Stewart, Robert Pattinson, Billy Burke, Ashley Greene, Nikki Reed and Jackson Rathbone) Rated * * 1/2 (2.5 stars): This long-awaited chick-flick is expected to replace the Harry Potter franchise, with its popular book appeal. But the attraction seems limited to young girls. (Reviewed below).
c) LAKEVIEW TERRACE (drama with Samuel L. Jackson (pictured), Patrick Wilson and Kerry Washington) Rating * * 1/2 (2.5 stars): Starts off as an engaging drama about a nasty neighbour but goes downhill with a loud and dumb ending.
STILL Going Strong:
1. QUANTUM OF SOLACE (Bond film with Daniel Craig and Olga Kurylenko, pictured above, Judi Dench, Giancarlo Giannini, Gemma Arterton, Mathieu Amalric and Olga Kurylenko) Rated * * * (out of 4): Director Marc Forster takes the Bond franchise closer to the Bourne films in this sequel to 'Casino Royale'. Many of the 007 traditions are discarded for a shorter and more functional action film. (Reviewed below).
2. MADAGASCAR: ESCAPE 2 AFRICA (animated comedy voiced by Ben Stiller, Chris Rock, David Schwimmer, Jada Pinkett Smith and Sacha Baron Cohen) Rated * * * (out of 4): It's not new but an improved sequel on the exploits of a bunch of zoo animals 'let loose' inbto the wild. Hearty laughs and shakin' music. (Reviewed below)
3. HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL 3: SENIOR YEAR (with Zac Efron, Vanessa Hudgens, Ashley Tisdale, Corbin Bleu) Rating: * * * (3 stars): Fans of this pop culture musical series will not be disappointed with this sequel that comes with an extra topping of everything, including the cheesiness. But hey, it's good clean family fun, okay?
4. IGOR (animated comedy with voices of John Cusack, Steve Buscemi, Jennifer Coolidge, John Cleese and Jay Leno) Rated * * 1/2 (2.5 stars): It looks like someone is trying to copy Tim Burton's creations with this tale about an 'Igor' (mad scientist sidekick) who becomes the mad Frankenstein himself. (Reviewed below)
5. QUARANTINE (sci-fi thriller with Jennifer Carpenter, Steve Harris, Jay Hernandez, Johnathon Schaech and Columbus Short) Rated * * 1/2 (out of 4): Shot with a hand-held camera, this 'documentary-TV' story can be nauseating for those who suffer from motion sickness. A lot like 'Cloverfield'. (Reviewed below)