WEEKEND PIC Nov 7 - 9, 2008
1. QUANTUM OF SOLACE (Bond film with Daniel Craig and Olga Kurylenko, pictured above, Judi Dench, Giancarlo Giannini, Gemma Arterton, Mathieu Amalric and Olga Kurylenko) Rated * * * (out of 4): Director Marc Forster takes the Bond franchise closer to the Bourne films in this sequel to 'Casino Royale'. Many of the 007 traditions are discarded for a shorter and more functional action film. (Reviewed below).
2. TROPIC THUNDER (comedy with Ben Stiller, Robert Downey Jr., Jack Black and Nick Nolte) Rating * * * 1/2 (3.5 stars): This spoof on Hollywood actors and mega-dollar productions is both funny and inspired. And just watch how Downey Jr steals the show...
3. HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL 3: SENIOR YEAR (with Zac Efron, Vanessa Hudgens, Ashley Tisdale, Corbin Bleu) Rating: * * * (3 stars): Fans of this pop culture musical series will not be disappointed with this sequel that comes with an extra topping of everything, including the cheesiness. But hey, it's good clean family fun, okay?
4. BANGKOK DANGEROUS (crime thriller with Nicolas Cage, Shahkrit Yamnarm, Charlie Young and Nirattisai Kaljareuk) Rated * * (2 stars): In trying to adapt their script for Holywood, the Pang Brothers have discarded the most interesting aspect of their original movie - its relentlessly seamy side. Here, only darkness prevails. (Reviewed below).
5. THE COFFIN (Thai horror with Karen Mok, Ananda Everingham, Napakapapa Nakaprasitte, Andrew Lim and Florence Vanida) Rated * * 1/2 (out of 4): This one seems to be the Halloween flick for Malaysians in the absence of any contenders from Hollywood. It is about a strange Thai ritual of lying in coffins to ward off bad luck. Not scary but claustrophobic. (Reviewed below)
6. MY BEST FRIEND'S GIRL (romantic comedy with Kate Hudson, Dan Cook, Alec Baldwin and Lizzy Caplan) Rated * * (2 stars): Dan Cook did not do so well in 'Good Luck Chuck' and and here he proves that he may be the rabble-rousing comedian but not the rom-com hero. In short, he's okay as an asshole but not the hero. (Reviewed below)
7. MAX PAYNE (crime thriller with Mark Wahlberg, Mila Kunis, Beau Bridges, Ludacris, Chris O'Donnell, Amaury Nolasco, and Olga Kurylenko) Rated * * 1/2 (out of 4): It's brooding, dark and wet; it is technically well done and has the requisite action and distractions - but this videogame-adaptation lacks heart and audience involvement. (Reviewed below)