WEEKEND PIC - Aug 29 - Sept 1 2008
2. MONEY NO ENOUGH 2 (Singaporean comedy with Jack Neo, Mark Lee, Henry Thia and Lai Ming) Rated * * * (3 stars): This second instalment (it's not a sequel) to Singapore's highest-grossing comedy touches on both the funny and 'tragic' sides of life and the pursuit of wealth. It can bring tears to your eyes as well. (Pictured, Reviewed below)
3. PENELOPE (romantic drama with Christina Ricci, James McAvoy, Catherine O'Hara and Reese Witherspoon) Rating * * 1/2 (2.5 stars): This modern-day love story with a fairytale touch reminds me of the Cyrano de Bergerac movie. It is predictable, cute and gets most things right, thanks to Ricci and McAvoy.
4. BABYLON A.D. (action thriller with Vin Diesel, Michelle Yeoh and Melanie Thierry) Rated * * (2 stars): It is a bit of 'Blade Runner', 'Matrix' and 'Children of Men' and a lot of mindless, ridiculous action. Only for those who need their weekly fix of blasts and stunts. (Reviewed below)
5. STAR WARS: THE CLONE WARS (animated sci-fi with voices of Matt Lanter, Ashley Eckstein and James Arnold Taylor) Rated * * 1/2 (2.5 stars): This animated flick is a pilot for the new TV series and it is actually 'Star Wars 2.5' in terms of chronology. Should prove a nice fix for Star Wars addicts. (Reviewed below).
6. YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE ZOHAN (comedy with Adam Sandler, Rob Schneider, John Turturro, Emmanuelle Chriqui and Nick Swardson) Rating * * (2 stars): Over-exaggerated comedy about Mossad agent Zohan 'hiding' out in New York is messy by itself. Don't mess with it unless you are starved for some Sandler schtick. (Reviewed below)
7. DEATH RACE (John Statham, Joan Allen, Tyrese Gibson and Natalie Martinez) Rating * * (2 stars): Quite like the videogame Twisted Metal, this is a brainless actioner badly written to keep the viewers' adrenalin pumping. Martinez helps with the eye candy part.