WEEKEND PIC: Sept 26-28, 2008
1. MAMMA MIA! (musical with Meryl Streep, Pierce Brosnan, Colin Firth, Stelan Skasgard and Amanda Seyfried) Rated * * * (out of 4): It is a real campy Bollywood-style musical incorporating the songs of ABBA but fun to watch. Where else can you see Bond star Brosnan singing and Streep having such a great time hamming it up? (Reviewed below)
2. THE OTHER BOLEYN GIRL (period drama with Natalie Portman, Scarlett Johansson, Eric Bana and David Morrissey) Rated * * * (3 stars): BBC director Justin Chadwick combines historical court drama with the emotional rivalry between the two Boleyn sisters to cook up a rich and engaging movie. If you liked 'Elizabeth', you will like this one. (Reviewed below)
3. PAINTED SKIN (thriller with Betty Sun, Chen Kun, Donnie Yen Ji Dan, Qi Yuwu, Vicki Zhao Wei and Zhou Xun, pictured) Rating * * 1/2 (2.5 stars): Gordon Chan's remake of the 1993 flick (that starred Sammo Hung and Adam Cheng) has its moments as well as disappointments. It should please action fans, though.
4. MONEY NO ENOUGH 2 (Singaporean comedy with Jack Neo, Mark Lee, Henry Thia and Lai Ming) Rated * * * (3 stars): This second instalment (it's not a sequel) to Singapore's highest-grossing comedy touches on both the funny and 'tragic' sides of life and the pursuit of wealth. It can bring tears to your eyes as well. (Reviewed below)
5. THE LOVE GURU (comedy with Mike Myers, Jessica Alba, Justin Timberlake and Ben Kingsley) Rating * * (2 stars): This satire on the Asian mystics has a few laughs but on the whole, it is silly, predictable and forgettable.
6. HALLOWEEN (remake of 1978 horror, starring Malcolm McDowell, Brad Dourif, Tyler Mane, Sheri Moon Zombie and William Forsythe) Rated * * (2 stars): This recycled slasher pic tells the same story as its 1978 predecessor but updates the time factor to the 90s. Nothing special here, except for the shaky camerawork.
7. I KNOW WHO KILLED ME (thriller with Lindsay Lohan, Julia Ormond, Neal McDonough and Brian Geraghty) Rated * 1/2 (1.5 star): Lohan won fame playing twins in 'The Parent Trap'. In this 2007 film, she sucks big time playing dual roles as a smart student gone missing and a bad-mouthed stripper. Her worst movie so far. (Reviewed below).
8. PATHOLOGY (with Milo Ventimiglia, Lauren Lee Smith, Michael Weston, Alyssa Milano and Keir O'Donnell) Rating * 1/2 (1.5 stars): It's blood-and-gore meets kinky sex in this pathetic excuse for a morgue thriller. Of course, it's dead meat for our censors. So...?