'District 9' tops US Weekend B-O
AUG, 18, 2009 - District 9' topped the US box-office this weekend with US$37.4 million, Boxofficemojo reports. The Time Traveller's Wife, another sci-fi effort, grossed US$18.6 million in its first weekend.
District 9 was made at less than US$30 million, a modest budget by Hollywood standards. The film was buoyed by rave reviews and a promotional blitz at the recent Comic-Con comic book convention, which fuelled strong pre-release interest among sci-fi fans.
Here is the rest of the Top 5 US B-O grosses for Aug 14-16, 2009 weekend, in terms of rank, Movie name, Weekend takings in USD, (Cumulative gross, USD) and week on chart, courtesy of Boxofficemojo.
1. District 9 $37.4 million ($37.4 million) 1
2. G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra $22.3 million ($98.8 million) 2
3. Time Traveler's Wife $18.6 million ($18.6 million) 1
4. Julie & Julia $12.1 million ($43.3 million) 2
5. G-Force $6.9 million ($99.0 million) 4