'Final Destination' Tops US Weekend B-O
AUG 31, 2009 - It was a rare instance of two movies of the same genre going head-to-head, as the Final Destination and Halloween thriller franchises faced-off but neither was particularly scathed by the clash at the weekend US box-office. Final Destination topped the US weekend collection with an estimated US$28.3 million while Halloween 2 made an estimated US$17.4.
The Final Destination (pictured, right) opens in Malaysia on Thursday (Sept 3).
Meanwhile, Reuters reports that “Inglourious Basterds” was the top film at the international box office, bolstered by impressive staying power in key markets and No. 1 openings in a handful of new ones. All told, Quentin Tarantino’s World War II opus fought its way to US$19.4 million in 31 territories, raising its international gross to $59.1 million.
Here is the rest of the Top 5 US B-O estimate grosses for Aug 28-30, 2009 weekend, in terms of rank, Movie name, Weekend takings in USD, (Cumulative gross, USD) and week on chart, courtesy of Boxofficemojo.
1. The Final Destination - $28.3 million ($28.3 million) 1
2. Inglourious Basterds - $20.0 million ($73.8 million) 2
3. Halloween 2 - $17.4 million ($17.4 million) 1
4. District 9 - $10.7 million ($90.8 million) 3
5. G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra - $8.0 million ($132.4 million) 4
(Figures courtesy of Boxofficemojo.com).