Saturday, September 12, 2009

Paris Hilton Immortalised in Oxford Dicky!

SEPT 12, 2009: Read this report from Reuters and had a good laugh over it. I quote below, plus a reaction from The Sun newspaper of UK:

SYDNEY, Sept 12 – Words of wisdom from Paris Hilton are to be immortalised alongside remarks by some of the greatest thinkers of all time in the latest edition of the Oxford Book of Quotations – and she reckons it’s “so cool.”

Hilton, the socialite turned reality TV star and retailing phenomenon, is listed in the latest version of the 65-year-old dictionary, released this week, alongside the likes of Confucius, Oscar Wilde and Stephen Hawking.

Her contribution? “Dress cute wherever you go, life is too short to blend in.”

Hilton, 28, was delighted to be featured in the book which is a renowned list of memorable sayings. “So cool that I have a quote in the dictionary,” she wrote on her Twitter page.

Another new entry in the seventh edition of the Oxford University Press publication is Sarah Palin. The former vice-presidential candidate makes the cut for her most famous quip: “What’s the difference between a hockey mom and a pitbull? Lipstick.”

More than 20,000 new quotations have been added to the dictionary including President Barack Obama for saying: “The arc of history is long but it bends toward justice.”

Others came from the likes of British author Terry Pratchett -- using an “embuggerance” to describe his Alzheimer’s – and from author Fay Weldon: “Guilt is to motherhood as grapes are to wine.” – Reuters

As Hilton enters the Oxford Dictionary of Quotations, one of her biggest quoting vehicles – the UK Sun newspaper – has provided 12 of her best.

1. "I don't want to be known as the Hilton heiress, because I didn't do anything for that."

2. Paris on her career choices: "First I wanted to be a veterinarian. And then I realised you had to give them shots to put them to sleep, so I decided I'd just buy a bunch of animals and have them in my house instead."

3. On her fame: "There's nobody in the world like me. I think every decade has an iconic blonde, like Marilyn Monroe or Princess Diana and, right now, I'm that icon."

4. Paris on her technique on the red carpet: "I don't really think, I just walk."

5. "All British people have plain names, and that works pretty well over there."

6. "This is Earth. Isn't it hot?"

7. "What's a soup kitchen?"

8. About the US chain store: "Wal-Mart... do they like make walls there?"

9. "One of my heroes has always been Barbie. She may not do anything, but she always looks amazing doing it."

10. "Whatever I write in e-mail, it doesn't mean anything. It is just words I write."

11. When asked if she fancied Tony Blair in 2006: "Who? Oh yeah... he's like your president? I don't know what he looks like."

12. "Kabbalah helps you confront your fears. If a girl borrowed my clothes and never gave them back, and I saw her wearing them months later, I would confront her."


Listen! Can you hear Confucius turning in his grave?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home