'Shutter Island' Tops US Weekend List
FEB 22, 2010 - Shutter Island topped the box office this weekend with an estimated US$40.2 million. This marks the biggest opening of the careers of director Martin Scorsese and lead Leonardo DiCaprio.
With no other films opening in wide release, the rest of the North American Top Five was filled with holdovers, most of which dropped by more than 50% from last weekend's record holiday session.
Here is the Top 5 North American B-O studio estimates for Feb 19-21, 2010 weekend, in terms of rank, Movie name (studio), Weekend takings in USD, (Cumulative gross, USD) and week on chart, courtesy of Boxofficemojo.
1. Shutter Island (Paramount) $40.2 million ($40.2 million) 1
2. Valentine's Day (WB) $17.2 million ($87.4 million) 2
3. Avatar (Fox) $16.1 million ($687.8 million) 10
4. Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief (Fox) $15.3 million ($58.8 million) 2
5. The Wolfman (Universal) $9.8 million ($50.3 million) 2