'Alice' Still Strong On Third Weekend in US
MARCH 22, 2010 - Despite solid starts from Diary of a Wimpy Kid and The Bounty Hunter, Alice in Wonderland held on to the top spot for the third weekend in a row, down 45 percent to an estimated $34.5 million.
Alice in Wonderland's $34.5 million weekend represents the sixth highest-grossing third weekend ever, and its total now sits at $265.8 million in 17 days. On Saturday, Alice surpassed Batman to become director Tim Burton's highest grossing movie ever, though Batman and several others still rank higher in terms of estimated attendance. Alice also topped 300 last Monday to become the highest-grossing March release ever.
Here is the Top 5 North American B-O studio estimates for March 19-21, 2010 weekend, in terms of rank, Movie name (studio), Weekend takings in USD, (Cumulative gross, USD) and week on chart, courtesy of Boxofficemojo.
1. Alice in Wonderland (2010) (Buena Vista) $34.5 million ($265.8 million) 3
2. Diary Of A Wimpy Kid (Fox) $21.8 million ($21.8 million) 1
3. Bounty Hunter (Sony) $21.0 ($21.0) 1
4. Repo Men (Universal) $6.1 ($6.1) 1
5. She's Out of My League (Paramount) $6.0 million ($19.6 million) 2