'Titans' Tops Easter Weekend US B-O
APRIL 5, 2010 - Clash of the Titans topped the Easter weekend with US$61.2 million, shattering the Easter opening weekend record formerly held by Scary Movie 4 (US$40.2 million). Between the Titans, Tyler Perry, Dragons and Miley Cyrus, the weekend as a whole set an April benchmark and was up 14 percent from last year.
Showing at approximately 6,700 screens at 3,777 theatres, Clash of the Titans, which grossed $63.9 million including its Thursday night previews, boasted the second highest-grossing April debut ever behind Fast and Furious, which generated US$71 million on the same weekend last year.
Tyler Perry is at No 2 with Why Did I Get Married Too?, a sequel to his 2007 ensemble comedy hit.
Here is the Top 5 North American B-O studio estimates for April 2 - 4, 2010 weekend, in terms of rank, Movie name (studio), Weekend takings in USD, (Cumulative gross, USD) and week on chart, courtesy of Boxofficemojo.
1. Clash of the Titans (Warner Bros.) $61.4 million ($64.1 mil) 1
2. Tyler Perry's Why Did I Get Married Too? (Lionsgate) $30.2 million ($30.2 mil) 1
3. How to Train Your Dragon (DreamWorks) $29.2 million ($92.3 mil) 2
4. The Last Song (Buena Vista) US$16.2 million ($25.6 mil) 1
5. Alice in Wonderland (Buena Vista) US$8.3 million ($309.8 mil) 5