'Inception' Still Tops in Third Weekend
AUGUST 2, 2010 - Inception continued its hold on moviegoers' minds for the third weekend in a row while Dinner for Schmucks took second placing and Cats & Dogs: The Revenge of Kitty Galore was neutered at No. 5. Overall business was up 12 percent over the same weekend last year when Funny People led, but was still weak for the time of year.
Slipping just 36 percent, Inception drew an estimated US$27.5 million, elevating its total to US$193.3 million in 17 days. Christopher Nolan's dream caper was the fourth movie of the year to spend three weekends at No. 1, following Avatar, Alice in Wonderland (2010) and Shrek Forever After. Like Shrek, its reign was aided by facing new releases that weren't up to snuff as summer contenders, particularly for this latest weekend.
Meanwhile, the Zac Efron vehicle, Charlie St. Cloud, takes the Sixth spot, coasted by with a decent estimated $12.1 million at 2,718 locations.
Here are the Top 6 North American B-O studio estimates for July 31-Aug 1, 2010 weekend, in terms of rank, Movie name (studio), Weekend takings in USD, (Cumulative gross, USD) and week on chart, courtesy of Boxofficemojo.
1. Inception (WB) $27.5 million ($193.3 million) 3
2. Dinner For Schmucks (Paramount) $23.3 million ($23.3 mil) 1
3. Salt (Sony) $19.2 million ($70.8 mil) 2
4. Despicable Me (Universal) $15.5 million ($190.3 mil) 4
5. Cats & Dogs: Revenge of Kitty Galore (WB) $12.5 million ($12.5 million) 1
6. Charlie St. Cloud (Universal) $12.1 million ($12.1 million) 1