The Other Guys Ends Inception Reign at US B-O
AUGUST 9, 2010 - Inception loses its dream steam in its fourth weekend, overtaken by newbie The Other Guys at the North American box-office. Capturing an estimated US$35.6 million on approximately 4,900 screens, The Other Guys opened well above the average for a cop comedy sub-genre, and it nearly doubled the last entry, Cop Out.
Inception, which has passed its US$200 million mark, eases about 30 percent, drawing an estimated US$18.6 million, while Step Up 3-D kicked up an estimated US$15.5 million at around 3,000 screens.
Here are the Top 6 North American B-O studio estimates for Aug 6-8, 2010 weekend, in terms of rank, Movie name (studio), Weekend takings in USD, (Cumulative gross, USD) and week on chart, courtesy of Boxofficemojo.
1. The Other Guys (Sony) $35.6 million ($35.6 mil) 1
2. Inception (WB) $18.6 million ($227.7 mil) 4
3. Step Up 3-D (BV) $15.5 million ($15.5 mil) 1
4. Salt (Sony) $11.1 million (91.9 mil) 3
5. Dinner For Schmucks (Paramount) $10.5 million ($46.7 mil) 2
6. Despicable Me (Universal) $9.4 million ($209.4 mil) 5